Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My MicroOffice

Those of you who follow me on Twitter (@kellyreid, if you don't) are well aware that I am into David Allen's Getting Things Done, and in a big way.  I've implemented it only a few days ago, but the results already speak for themselves.  While I'm definitely having some growing pains adapting to my new workflow, I can see how things are developing and I am very, very happy.

One of the suggestions that Allen makes, and one that I had actually already conceptualized and developed before reading his productivity manifesto, is the concept of a Micro Office.  That's fancy B-Speak for a bag of important stuff that goes with you everywhere.  A high-tech man-purse, if you will.  I don't travel as much as I'd like to, but between trips to New York to see my family, Chicago for leisure, Indianapolis for business and events, and any other trips to MTG-related events, I'm out and about often enough to merit a good system.

The crux of my mobile office is my old MacBook.  I've had this thing for a few years now, and it's the best machine I've owned.  I was a steadfast PC customer until I had to return two Windows Vista notebooks from HP.  Oddly enough, the MacBook was the best Intel-based notebook on the market at the time and had every feature I wanted - including the ability to run Windows XP with a minimum of fuss. 

Currently, my office-in-a-bag has the following things:

  • 13" MacBook & Charger
  • 16gb iPhone 3GS & Sync Cable
  • Otter Box iPhone case for traveling
  • "Fashionable" Speck iPhone case
  • iPhone Battery Dock (holds a full extra charge and turns any mini USB port into an iPhone jack)
  • Gym shorts, socks and T-Shirt
  • Wireless bluetooth mouse and a small mouse pad
  • Pen, Pad, a few dice (never know when you'll end up playing Magic!)
  • No-Doz, because I'm growing to hate non-water beverages and still need caffiene
  • A few small water bottles and packets of some sort of sports drink mix
 All of this currently lives in a 6 year old canvas American Eagle messenger bag, but I'm going to upgrade to a more professional looking vessel soon enough.  The leverage this gives me to take advantage of small windows of time is huge.  I have access to my entire empire from this bag - store inventory, all contacts, my Getting Things Done lists, all forms of social media, and every message I've sent or received in the last few years.   The next step is getting all of my technology properly networked again.

As someone who tries to always push the limits of what I can do with my time, this has been a tremendous boon.  Ever the ADHD poster child, having this compartmentalized system has been invaluable.  I am now able to discern what tasks are most pressing, but only view those that are actionable with the resources I have on-hand.  If something requires me to be at the store, I don't want to know about it until I am actually at the store.

What are some of your favorite portable productivity tools?  Methods?  Got anything you think I ought to try?  Leave a comment and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I have a bit of a micro office going on as well. I usually pile everything into my ancient Jan Sport backpack which has served me well for over a decade. I have the same things as you just about. I also take a bathing suit (never know when you might go for a swim! I am a big swimmer) My video camera and charger and my sygg water bottle. It really is a great system!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you live in the midwest, a bathing suit is, regrettably, extraneous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kelly. I did a similar post awhile ago, you can see it here http://www.corybagozzi.com/2010/01/how-do-i-prepare-for-recovery-part-2.html. One thing I have added to the arsenal is a small tackle box (about 3" by 5") that I bought at Walmart for $2 in the fishing section. I use it to hold some counters and dice, it works great. I like it because it is separated into 6 small sections so one has green counters, one for red, one for clear, and the rest for dice.

    ReplyDelete